With Halloween just around the corner, cats – particularly black ones – are in the spotlight. October 29 is National Cat Day, which means it’s our feline friends’ time to shine! We have many adoptable kitties to choose from at the Humane Society of Northeast Georgia, and each of them is unique in their own way, whether it be personality or fur color!
Cats have been popular pets in the United States for a long time, although they were first domesticated around 9,500 years ago during the Neolithic Period. Today, cats are the most popular household animals in the US, boasting a ratio of 8 million more cats than dogs.
There’s no doubt that cats have captured many people’s hearts all over the country and the world. If you need proof, all you need to do is do a quick Google search of “cats.” From that single word alone, millions of hits pop up: blog posts, memes, and even cat care tips!
So, what can you do in order to celebrate National Cat Day? We have a few suggestions!
- Spay/neuter your cat
- Microchip your cat (Only $20 at HSNEGA)
- Donate supplies or volunteer time to your local animal shelter
- Adopt a cat from your local animal shelter (View our adoptable pets.)
- Make or buy your kitty a special treat! (Click here for some easy recipes.)
- Spend some time playing with or grooming your cat
- Netflix and cuddles with your kitty! (Click here for some cat-based Netflix movies.)
Want some cute cat stories to read yourself or share with your family?
Information for this post compiled from the following sites:
Written by Kelly Kucera, HSNEGA Marketing Communications Intern